[OpenBIOS] Secure BIOS for voting?

SAVIOCvs at aol.com SAVIOCvs at aol.com
Tue Jul 23 13:35:14 CEST 2013

The three responses I've seen so far were all negative, but also puzzling
to me.  I'll try to address the key points in the response that  is copied
below, as well as those in the other two responses.

(1) Why floppies? -- (a) Because they are limited in storage, and
non-electronic.  The smaller the memory, the harder it is to hide something
malicious in it, and the easier to check it.  (b) Because they are  inexpensive.
Any entity wishing to verify voting results needs one memory  device for
every voting machine.

(2) Aren't floppies unreliable? -- No.  Since I started keeping track  of
my public voting demos in 2002, I have used 992 diskettes without a single
failure between starting voting and archiving results.  (That's not 992
different new diskettes; each is used over and over again unless a check done at
 startup reveals possible unreliability.)

(3) Aren't floppy drives obsolete? -- No.  USB-connected floppy drives  are
readily available for about $15, and computers can boot from them.

(4) BIOS averages 8 MB? -- WOW!  I still don't know how big OpenBIOS  is,
but I was hoping for something a bit closer to the 8  KB of the original IBM
PC.  The capabilities of a  386 computer are sufficient for my voting
system.  Is OpenBIOS really so  huge?  Does a BIOS have to be?

(5) Hypervisor?  Virtual machine?  Address remapping?   Infectious native
BIOS? -- If a modern computer has no hard drive connected,  what happens when
it boots from a floppy?  There is a boot sector on the  diskette (which is
verified by hash code); doesn't that control what happens  next?  Why can't
the floppy contents take control of the computer?

Obviously, I'm no BIOS expert.  I'd appreciate recommendations of good
texts or tutorials to bring me up to speed.

Chuck Gaston

(http://www.SAVIOC.com) )
> that uses ordinary old PCs,  yet is  more transparent and trustworthy
than
> anything else in use   today.  All software, including the operating
system
> (FreeDOS)  boots from a  floppy that can be verified by hash code.  The
PC
> never uses the hard  drive, and doesn't even need one.   Trustworthiness
> comes
> from people  with different  interests being able to prevent each other
from
> doing anything   fraudulent.  I think the only significant potential
>  vulnerability is that  someone with physical access to the machines
could
> install a
> malicious  BIOS.  Learning about the  OpenBIOS project gave me hope of
> overcoming that   vulnerability.
>
> (1)  Is my hope justified?   Can a PC be booted from a floppy that
> completely replaces the  native BIOS in RAM, and then loads FreeDOS?
(Can
> the
> possibility of a malicious BIOS be made a non-issue?)
>
> If all answers are YES, then the remaining very basic questions  become
> important.

Perhaps this is a digression, but why  a floppy?  If you're using old
hardware, that's fine, but at some point  you probably want to use modern
hardware, and I don't know of a modern  hardware system that comes with a floppy
drive, anymore.  Furthermore, my  many years of experience with floppy disks
tells me that they are unreliable -  very prone to failures of a variety of
types (dirty heads, physical damage to  the medium, etc.).  Many of these
types of failures mean mis-reads, which  means bad checksums and failures in
the security model you're trying to  implement.  If you're looking for
something compatible with very old  hardware - hardware that does not support
booting from USB flash drives - I'd  recommend finding some older IDE flash chips
(disk on chip) that you can use,  instead.  These are probably pretty
cheap, now, and should give you the  capacity and reliability that you won't get
with floppy  disks.

> (2)  Roughly how much space on the  floppy would be required?

You can build the OpenBIOS tree and see how  large the binary is.  I don't
remember off the top of my head, so I can't  tell you.  Many modern BIOS
implementations are several MB - I believe  8MB is the average BIOS size (not
openBIOS, just BIOS in general), with some  as large as 12MB.  This presents
another problem when using  floppies...you'd need multiple ones.

> (3)  What downloads  would I need?  OpenBIOS AND OpenFirmware AND
OpenBOOT?
>  Anything else?

Probably just OpenBIOS.

>  (4)  How are they downloaded?
>  http://www.openfirmware.info/index.php/Downloads displays  a page
> beginning, "This page has been deleted."  All other links that  imply
the
> possibility
> of downloading reach a page  headlined, "The  page cannot be displayed".

SVN  check-out of the current source tree and build.  Decently modern
versions  are also included with Qemu,  IIRC.

-Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain  confidential and privileged material for the sole
use of the intended  recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or
you are not  responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended
recipient, please  note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
 Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using
this message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have  received
this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to  this
e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox.  Information  contained in this
message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is  neither endorsed
by nor attributable to SEAKR.

--
OpenBIOS    http://openbios.org/
Free your System - May the Forth  be with you