[OpenBIOS] Analysis of current Solaris 8 boot failure on SPARC32

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Jan 4 00:22:17 CET 2011

On 03/01/11 22:45, Tarl Neustaedter wrote:

> I don't recall phrasing it that way, but indeed #address-cells is
> specific to physical addresses. I might guess that back in 32-bit forth,
> the virtual address would be 4 bytes, but that predates me (by 1994, we
> were doing 64-bit forth). I'd expect any recent Solaris to believe OBP
> is 64-bit. Matter of fact, by Solaris 2.4, we were already doing 64-bit,
> why are you running into 32-bit with Solaris 8?

Currently I have a 32-bit Solaris 8 install CD at work, and Qemu SPARC32
by default emulates an SS-5 sun4m machine (which Artyom has managed to
get working with a PROM image from a real SS-5). Hence I've been
comparing outputs to try and figure out what the Solaris kernel is doing
with OBP which we currently aren't doing correctly in OpenBIOS.

> By the way, have you seen P1275.1/D14a, Supplement for IEEE 1754 ISA
> (SPARC)? It talks a lot about issues you've been dealing with recently
> (lessee - that's
> http://playground.sun.com/1275/bindings/sparc/d14a/12751d1a.ps ).

Yes thanks - I already have a copy of this in my PDF library :)

ATB,

Mark.

--
PostgreSQL - PostGIS