[OpenBIOS] Solaris anyone?

Nick Couchman Nick.Couchman at seakr.com
Sun Apr 24 01:17:36 CEST 2011

> Hi Nick,
>
> Thanks again for testing this. The issue with Solaris not detecting the
> disks is a known one - the following guide should point you in the right
> direction:
>
> http://virtuallyfun.blogspot.com/2010/10/formatting-disks-for-solaris.html
>
> Also don't forget the "set scsi_options" part from Artyom's SPARC/QEMU
> howto here: http://tyom.blogspot.com/2009/12/solaris-under-qemu-how-to.html
>
> I think it may actually be possible to come up with a patch for OpenBIOS
> so that the scsi_options change isn't required - let me know how you get
> on with the above links, and if it all seems to work I'll look at
> creating the patch for you.

Okay, I got passed the issue with formatting the root filesystem.
Apparently there are some limitations on the C/H/S parameters you use
for the disk that correspond with how UFS wants to format a new
filesystem.  I'm not sure what exactly those limitations are at this
point, but, by adjusting a couple of the C/H/S settings when using
format to set up the disk I was able to get it to work correctly.  So, I
now have Solaris 9 installed on qemu-system-sparc with OpenBIOS!  I'll
probably go back to Solaris 8 as that one has a free binary license
while Solaris 9 is a commercial license, IIRC.  I do own a Solaris 9
commercial license, but I like the free idea, better.

Anyway, now I'm on to an issue with networking - I've used the following
two qemu network parameter combinations:
-net nic -net tap,ifname=tap0
-net nic -net user

In the first instance, tap0 was configured on my Linux box and added to
my bridge br0.  In both cases the Solaris system is unable to obtain a
DHCP address - the DHCP client times out.  Not sure if I should be using
a different parameter set, or if this is another area that needs some
work either for OpenBIOS or qemu?

-Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.