[OpenBIOS] sparc32 openbios - passing nvram options

Dmitriy Kargapolov dmitriy.kargapolov at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 05:39:18 CEST 2010

Hello,
I tried to install netbsd 5.0.2 to qemu-system-sparc (which uses openbios).
Boot from cdrom image and installation passed with no problems.
But I was not able to boot from hdd. All the -boot, -prom-env options kind
of ignored by qemu-system-sparc...
All tries end up with booting fromn cdrom (if presented).

Configuration device id QEMU version 1 machine id 64
UUID: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
CPUs: 1 x TI,TMS390Z55
invalid nvram partition length
nvram error detected, zapping pram
[sparc] Booting file 'cdrom' with parameters ''
Trying cdrom (/iommu/sbus/espdma/esp/sd at 2,0)

It looks like something wrong happens in the way of passing nvram parameters
to openbios.

Looking at the sources, I found that key method void arch_nvram_get(char*)
is missing from openbios-1.0/arch/sparc32/openbios.c, but it is included in
openbios-1.0/arch/sparc64/openbios.c.
How nvram settings are passed from qemu command line to openbios-sparc32 in
this case? Isn't this a bug?

Thanks.