[OpenBIOS] Sparc32 "see" crashes on "" literals

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Sat Jan 24 12:45:31 CET 2009

Hi all,

Having been looking at the OpenBIOS Sparc implementation recently, I
came across the following interesting reproducible test case with latest
SVN of Qemu and openbios:

./qemu-system-sparc -nographic -serial stdio

Configuration device id QEMU version 1 machine id 32
UUID: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
CPUs: 1 x FMI,MB86904
Welcome to OpenBIOS v1.0RC1 built on Jan 24 2009 10:08
   Type 'help' for detailed information

[sparc] Booting file 'disk' with parameters ''
Trying disk (disk)
Trying disk:d (disk:d)
Unsupported image format

0 > see see
: see
   ' (see)
   ;
  ok
0 > see test-all
: test-all
   active-package cr (lit) (lit) then
   Unhandled Exception 0x00000009
PC = 0xffd066c4 NPC = 0xffd066c8
Stopping execution

Similarly I see the same error in get-package-path too:

0 > see get-package-path
: get-package-path
   ?dup 0= if
   0 0 dup >dn.parent @ 0= if
     drop (lit) (lit) then
     Unhandled Exception 0x00000009
PC = 0xffd066c4 NPC = 0xffd066c8
Stopping execution

AFAICT the problem is related to the occurence of string constants like
"foo" or "bar" in the source code. Does anyone else see this on other
platforms? I suspect given that forth is interpreted that this is a
lower-level issue of some kind...

ATB,

Mark.

--