[OpenBIOS] OpenBIOS as an intermediate loader

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.openbios at telemetry.co.uk
Sun Nov 2 13:29:13 CET 2008

Please excuse the stupid question, but is it possible- or even remotely
feasible- to load OpenBIOS from disc in lieu of an operating system kernel?

I use a number of architectures here including PCs and Sun systems.
Recently I got my hands on some ARM boards which are flashed for CE but
should also in principle be able to run Linux.

Now these CE boards boot in a very PC-like fashion, so I presume they
have something similar to a PC BIOS in Flash. If it were possible to
load a variant of OpenBIOS as an intermediate loader then it should be
possible to use that to load Linux, this approach would also be valuable
for engineering purposes on both PCs and other systems which did not
have OpenBIOS in Flash.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk