[OpenBIOS] Re: boy is EFI a kludge!

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Tue Aug 28 21:38:11 CEST 2001

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Chris Maresca wrote:

> Right, but what happens when the switch barfs @ 4am 500miles away?  With a
> serial console, I can hookup either a modem or a portmaster.  If the
> network fails, I can call the data center, tell them "turn on modem in
> cage 12" and dialup do fix whatever is wrong (BTDT).  That's one of the
> reasons why Sun hardware is so popular in server farms.

our experience is different. We've had way more trouble with serial port
concentrators, cables etc. than enet switches. Overall the scenario you
describe would not work well for us. It does work for many people however.

> b. trying to see boot msgs for failed hardware
This is an important one. You're right here. But rather than go with the
serial port concentrators we're probably going to put console messages out
over enet.

> I seem to recall that you developed linuxbios specifically for use in
> Beowolf clusters, not with the intent of having geografically remote
> systems.

you're right. We can't address your problems (yet).

ron

-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de