[OpenBIOS] openbios on nvram on l440gx+

David Christensen dchrist at home.com
Fri Feb 11 20:14:23 CET 2000

Ron,

Intel usually publishes a BIOS writer's guide for each set of chipsets it
develops.  These will describe in greater detail how to program the DRAM
registers based on the type of memory found, but you'll probably need to
sign an NDA to look at them.  If you're not interested in following that
route then the best thing to do would be to install a variety of SDRAMs (1
and 2 sided, various memory densities, and various combinations of DIMM
slots) and record the values you see in the different DRAM registers.  If
your using SDRAM with SPD data then you'll also need to read that EEPROM
data via I2C or the SMBUS, the memory sizing routine will need that data.
With this info you could draw up a chart with the different memory
configurations and DRAM register settings and you might even see a pattern
which you could use.  The tough part here is that all of this work has to be
done is a stackless environment.  You don't have any RAM to implement a
stack or make function calls!

You might also just hard code some values so that you can move past the
memory sizing to look at some other issues.

Just some thoughts.

Dave