[OpenBIOS] Proposals for development stages

James Oakley jfunk at roadrunner.nf.net
Thu Aug 12 18:47:09 CEST 1999

Mark Zhitomirski wrote:

Your message is good, though I have some comments.

> This is my attempt to figure out how OpenBIOS development should be run
>
> Stage 0: divide BIOS into several tasks:
>
> 1 initialization of chipset - mandatory
> 2 booting OS from FDD - mandatory for the initial phase

I think I'm not the only one who wants to eliminate dumb limitations in
current BIOS software. Unfortunately, all x86 operating systems is
written to handle these limitations, which often fail miserably
(motherboard less than a year old, my 10GB HD reported as 540MB, had to
use Linux fdisk to actually use the damn thing).

I sent a message a little while ago about how we should work with the
Linux kernel people to define a new booting specification. Ask them what
they want. We can implement that first and set up compatibility modes
(DOS, etc) later, when our heads are more fully wrapped around this
thing. I'm just waiting for some sort of confirmation or denial on this.

James Oakley
-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de