[OpenBIOS] ping ?

James Oakley jfunk at roadrunner.nf.net
Fri Apr 30 02:05:25 CEST 1999

Niklas Ekström wrote:

> How do you plan on disabling the onboard FlashBIOS chip?

That's the easy part: remove it. However, there are some boards out
there that use those damn SMT flashes. For development, it's probably a
good idea to stay away from these boards.

All of the signals in the socket save one are on the ISA bus. The other
signal, which controls the CE line on the flash will be run to the
switch, which will switch it between the two flashes on the board.

One thing I have to find out however, is how fast the processor accesses
the BIOS. I'll have to hook it up to my scope (though I may not learn
much from that as it's only a 20MHz scope) and see if I can grab the
frequency. Actually, I'm going back to school next week (this is my 2nd
last day of work, ahhh) and we have 100MHz digital HP scopes in the
digital labs (you can play Tetris on them!) I can play with.

I'll have to try that this weekend, and try the circuit out on an ISA
prototype card.

james oakley
jfunk at roadrnner.nf.net
-
To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at freiburg.linux.de
with "unsubscribe openbios" in the body of the message